Friday, April 18, 2014

Antarctic Abominable Projectile Penguins

While having some thoughts about casting some resin pieces, I started finding really cool ice cube trays on amazon that would work for figures. I picked up a couple, one was just for a certain piece for a team that is still in the planning stage, but the other I found that was interesting was THIS ONE. Six completely different abominable snowmen poses. So I added it to the cart and I got a buddy to cast them up using clear resin. He also tried a blue tint which didn't come out as nice as we hoped.
Yes flash is bad, but it made the icemen look cooler.
So of course this inspired a snowmen themed ogre blood bowl team! I took my inspiration from this old flash game that was big when flash games first started to be big called Pengu Throw. So I found some cheap little penguin toys (couldn't find any suitable affordable penguin miniatures, there was always just like 1 or 2 in a huge expensive set of animals and my goal was a cheap team!) that will count as snotlings.
Took this pic so you can see how the clear resin looks with something behind it.
I mentioned to Axt when I picked up a set of his recent NABBO Tea Cup tournament dice & dugout that I needed them for a project I was working on. I think it suits this team very well! I will have to keep it packed in whatever transport I devise for this team. I also need to sort out numbers - my brother gave me a great suggestion for the penguins - add a tag onto their wings as if they'd been marked for tracking purposes (I will probably use 4 colours of tags as well) but I don't know what to do for the icemen, thoughts?
I will probably just use extra penguins for counters.
The most work involved was making the bases. I made them using washers to give (especially the penguins) some weight to them. Then glued on some sand, painted it grey, drybrushed with a lighter grey and added a black wash. I made snow by combining baking soda with water effects and found that I really really like the results. The icemen needed a quick sand and a wash then I picked out their eyes and mouth. I'm giving myself a painting point each for the icemen and 1 point per 4 penguin bases for a total of 10 painting points for this team.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Canadian Open 2014 Results

Sorry for the massive delay on this post - unfortunately being away on vacation the week leading up to the event meant that all my preparation was for running it and not blogging/tweeting/etc.
Canadian Open 2014 participants
I am very happy to announce we increased our turnout to 22 coaches. It could have been 24 without some last minute family & work related cancellations (which would have been 10 more than last year - so close to double digit increase!) This year I added a bunch of prizes and raffles to motivate people to bring out new blood bowl coaches - either completely new NAF members or someone who is NAF registered but never played in a tournament. It was very successful with FOUR newcomers and a fifth returning NAF member. If you are interested in NAF tournaments in Canada, please check out our new portal site for all kinds of details, registration info, photos, results, etc. for all the Canadian tournaments.

Having the new portal also reduced my rush to get anything posted on the blog here, so apologies for that, but here are links to;

I will still post some relevant photos of the trophy winners here, but there are many more photos to look at including pics of the various teams up for the Best Team trophy at the link above.

1st Place - L3athalK
Leathan played Lizardmen and is also on quite the roll.  He won the CCKO (Ottawa) in January, the Daggerbowl (Ottawa) in February and now the Canadian Open in March.

2nd Place - wapcaplets
Chris played Wood Elves and improved upon his 3rd place finish last year by taking second. Next year he hopes to become the champion!

3rd Place - apartment42
Alex was my Odd Man Out and ended up taking home 3rd place using a skaven roster he wrote that morning!

Stunty Champion - Dwarfrunner
Mark picked up the Stunty Champion trophy with his Epic Iron Chefs halfling team.

Most TDs - grant85
As last year, Grant picked up the Most Touchdowns trophy with his Wood Elves.

Most CAS - Talons
Rob ended up needing some stand-ins (including myself for game 3) on day one due to work commitments, but his Khemri still came out with the Most Casualties trophy.

Wooden Spoon - hakomike
Some of you may know Mike from his blog - Constantly Risking Obscurity. Mike traveled up from Michigan to participate in his first ever blood bowl tournament and ended up taking home the Wooden Spoon with his Dwarf team.

Best Team - kikurasis
Matt took home the Best Team trophy with 10 out of 21 votes for his Slann team which also won at last years Chaos Cup.

Canuck Attitude - Purple_Nurple
Austin won the Canuck Attitude or "best sport" trophy on tie breakers - he had the most "5 star" sportsmanship ratings from his opponents - and that while he still ended up placing 8th with his Chaos team.

I also managed to raise $150 to go towards updating the Legacy trophy (you can see Leathan holding it in the group picture above) it needs a proper plaque with name plates instead of the wood with stickers around it, so look forward to an improved and updated Legacy trophy next year.

Friday, March 21, 2014

more deadzone terrain acccessories

Just a quick one today - finished the painting part on the last set of deadzone terrain accessories. Technically they still need weathering powders but those take so long I'm going to save up a bunch of terrain to do all at once.
Started by priming with cheap krylon spray "ruddy brown", then an extremely light drybrush with P3 pig iron, followed by a thinned devlan mud wash. Then I applied the decals which I think I took from an old epic titans decal sheet. Finally I used a bit of foam to sponge apply some damage with vallejo tin.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...