Friday, June 16, 2017

Amorical Cup 2017 - result = AMORICAL CUP CHAMPIONS (38/96 personally)

On the weekend of June 2nd/3rd - me and my teammates traveled down to Virginia - where the second North American Team Championship blood bowl tournament was being held, titled the Amorical Cup.

You can read up about it on the website here. Basically teams of 4 entered, each coach needing to use a different race and each race having a points value.  Your team could add up to 10 points, or if you wanted to compete for the equivalent of a "stunty" team trophy, your team had to add up to 6 points or less.  

We chose to go this route
Me: Slann (1), Stimme: Underworld (1), Genghis: Necromantic (3), Doomington: Goblins (1)

Tier D (1 point) teams could take 4 normal and 4 double skills.  Mine were as follows;

  • 2x Catcher w Dodge
  • 2x Catcher w Guard
  • Linefrog w Strip Ball
  • 2x Linefrog w Wrestle
  • Kroxigor w Block
It was held at Center Of The Universe Brewing Company in Ashland, Virginia - a great choice!
Game 1 vs Gken1 (chaos): 1-2 loss

He kicked. Stimme would have been proud.  It was a very methodical cage downfield, where I still had 3 of my 4 rerolls left when I scored turn 6. Everything was going my way in the first half - Ken couldn't take any players off the pitch, his minotaur was rolling wild animals like crazy, etc.  This probably led to me feeling the luck was on my side later in the half. He received and went down sideline. I popped the ball but got greedy and tried a pass instead of just holding out for 1-0 at HT. I fumbled the ball and it scattered out of bounds and came back in where he could pick it up and throw a pass, which he duly did needing a gfi to score.  I should have just caged over the ball and ensured as much as possible going into the second half he would need to score twice if he wanted to win.

In the second half, I kicked, he received. I popped the ball but he started taking my players off the pitch. Popped it maybe 2 more times but couldn't get ahold of it. Turn 7 desperation I blitz with my krox needing 2 dodges and 2 gfi and make them all only to roll double push on the block.  By the end of the game his mino had rolled wild animal on 5 of 6 blitzes.

More photos




Other teammates results;
Stimme: 2-2 draw with Gaixo aka Nate Beem the NAF Tournament Director
Genghis: 2-1 win
Doomington: 0-1 loss to Gobdomino aka Nate Ball from skulls and ones podcast.


Game 2 vs Chuckie1982 (ogres): 5-1 win

Bit of a harsh match for English Chris sometime co-conspirator of the skulls and ones podcast. He kicked and I scored on turn 3 or 4. Then I turned him over twice in the first half to go into HT at 3-0. He averaged 2 bonehead ogres per turn the entire match, the first turn alone 4 ogres went bonehead.

Second half I kicked and he scored. Then I scored again and turned him over a final time to win 5-1. His dice were ice cold, he hit me tons just couldn't make any lasting impression.  Was a great opponent kept a smile the entire time. Bought him a beer and we had some laughs

Other teammates results;
Stimme: 4-1 win
Genghis: 2-1 win
Doomington: 1-1 draw


Game 3 vs. Jim Luft (pro elves): 2-1 win

I received and unfortunately wasn't able to do much damage, although I KO'd both of his linemen with catch. I scored giving Jim 3 or 4 turns to reply in the first. Pretty sure I even got a hold of the ball again but he took down my catcher then elf'd me dodging through tackle zones 3 times to hand-off then pass to score.

In the second half I managed to score slowly pretty sure I left him less turns to score than the first half. Finally his catch linemen came back, but managed to hold him off. It's hazy now I can't recall exactly where his drive broke down.

More photos



Other teammates results;
Stimme: 1-0 win
Genghis: 1-2 loss
Doomington: 2-1 win


Game 4 vs. Kilgannon (norse): 3-1 win

Quite nervous coming up against a team full of block, was expecting to take a beating. Luckily I won the coin toss so got to receive and I got a few off the pitch early. Played well for my first TD. He got few hits each turn and I made a gap and ran a bunch of players through. I think he still managed to knock over the ball carrier but had enough around there to grab it and score.

Then came his curse of the butterfingers. I kicked to him, he won a reroll on the kick off, but elected not to use it on the pickup since the ball was pretty safe in his backfield. Unfortunately this sparked a string of 2 or 3 turns he could not pick up the ball, and it meant he had to rush things and had to pass the ball, I got an opportunity to intercept and duly rolled a 6 and that led to me scoring a second in the first half.

Now Scott had to rush it to score twice for a tie. He still had some butterfingers happening so it took about 3 turns. Then he kicked to me and I got it pretty deep in his backfield but not perfectly caged so he popped the ball but couldn't pick it up and I leaped over, grabbed it and scored to essentially seal the game.

Other teammates results;
Stimme: 1-0 win
Genghis: 1-1 draw
Doomington: 1-2 loss


Game 5 vs. Manz62 (slann): 2-2 draw

This was probably both my toughest match and my best played match. Of all the other slann rosters I saw in the lead up to the tournament, I probably liked his the best.

It was probably a mistake to kick, allowing him to hit me first, even with his krox stunned by a thrown rock, he casualtied two linefrogs in the first turn forcing me to use my apo right away. I spent the entire match down players due to his dice just being on fire.

I forced him to score in turn 4 because he just didn't feel safe, so it gave me enough time to manage a late score to tie it up before half time. Unfortunately the next kick off was a riot so he got an extra turn to score, which he duly did once I failed my leap into his cage. He then also got a blitz when I had setup for a very unlikely OTT attempt.

So going into second half I wasn't feeling good about what was happening, but one thing about Slann is you never give up. So once again I got plenty of targets deep and some had to be left standing. I freed them up and I used diving catch to my advantage to keep it to a short pass attempt, leaving Manu a bit shocked. So 2-2 with 3 turns left for him to tie it up and again I left him uncomfortable enough he tried to make the ball extra secure, by handing off to a catcher inside a sideline cage with 2 guarders. Unfortunately for him it was the wrong move and he dropped the ball. I knocked down one of the catchers and KOd him. Left 2 tackle zones on the ball, however 1 was already in an opponents tackle zone. He knocked them away but failed the pickup with no rerolls and gave me the tie.
Definitely tough on Manu having been in control of the game for pretty much the entire time, but no small credit to me for just sticking with it.

Other teammates results;
Stimme: 2-1 win
Genghis: 1-1 draw
Doomington: 2-0 win


Game 6 vs. flyingdingle (wood elf): 1-4 loss

This was a rough one for me. Wasn't a terrible dicing but just failures at crucial opportunities. At 1-1 in the first half receiving  again I threw a pass and fumbled it. Allowing Sol to recover and score. I should have had a reroll left but had earlier taken an opportunity to get a good hit on a wardancer with 3 dice from my krox. Unfortunately didn't do anything, definitely an emotional reroll.
Second half I did fail quite a bit which was frustrating, but I'd had my share of luck too, so sometimes you have to take it on the chin. Sol got 3-1 up and twice I couldn't manage a consolation and he rounded it out with a final TD to really rub my nose in it.


Other teammates results;
Stimme: 2-0 win
Genghis: 2-1 win
Doomington: 1-1 draw

Final Team Standings
So at the end of the day - we beat out Bryan Tew's Rocky Mountain Renegades team by 1 POINT to secure the Amorical Cup Championship for 2017.  Thanks in large part to Alex (Stimme) going 5 wins 1 draw and coming in first (unfortunately he had to leave immediately after his game to catch his flight - which then was delayed so he could easily have stuck around) but we all finished .500 or greater and if we hadn't of finished first, we would have won the All-Amorical Cup trophy (for a 6 point team)
Genghis, Stimme (not pictured), natsirtdm, Doomington (aka Birdhat)
Stimme's 1st place trophy (minus Stimme)
Also as a whole the Canucks did very well - finishing 1st, 3rd (Furious Four - they took the All Amorical trophy from us in a share the wealth thing, Joe Byers placed 2nd), 5th (Rapide et Dangereux from Quebec), 8th (Grand River Rollers), and 11th (Blame Canada) ALL in the top half of teams.


Here's the Canadian contingent.

and everyone!


thanks to the organizers for a great event!

3 comments:

eriochrome said...

Great Job. Should Slann really be a 1 point team? Are there no point teams? Slann while not great at the normal stuff can do the impossible on the pitch often so putting them in the same class as halflings or such does not seem right.

Axtklinge said...

Hey, congrats on the cup mate!! :)

That game vs Slann must have been rally fun to watch (let lone play).
You can never really tell "it's done" against Slann, and when both coaches know their stuff, it's really hard to tell the outcome of the game.

Thank you for the cool report!
Cheers,
A.

Tristan M said...

Brad: I believe many of the costing purposes was to provide a good variety of teams.
Slann were the most common at 20 teams so it obviously had an impact. If you join the Amorical Cup group on facebook there was a ton of stats posted about team selection, etc.

Alberto: Thanks! It was actually a very tough game to keep my head in - Manu was breaking my armour with ease so I very rarely had much to do each turn - but you're right it's never done vs. Slann, my TD in the second half very much an example of that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...