Friday, April 18, 2014

Antarctic Abominable Projectile Penguins

While having some thoughts about casting some resin pieces, I started finding really cool ice cube trays on amazon that would work for figures. I picked up a couple, one was just for a certain piece for a team that is still in the planning stage, but the other I found that was interesting was THIS ONE. Six completely different abominable snowmen poses. So I added it to the cart and I got a buddy to cast them up using clear resin. He also tried a blue tint which didn't come out as nice as we hoped.
Yes flash is bad, but it made the icemen look cooler.
So of course this inspired a snowmen themed ogre blood bowl team! I took my inspiration from this old flash game that was big when flash games first started to be big called Pengu Throw. So I found some cheap little penguin toys (couldn't find any suitable affordable penguin miniatures, there was always just like 1 or 2 in a huge expensive set of animals and my goal was a cheap team!) that will count as snotlings.
Took this pic so you can see how the clear resin looks with something behind it.
I mentioned to Axt when I picked up a set of his recent NABBO Tea Cup tournament dice & dugout that I needed them for a project I was working on. I think it suits this team very well! I will have to keep it packed in whatever transport I devise for this team. I also need to sort out numbers - my brother gave me a great suggestion for the penguins - add a tag onto their wings as if they'd been marked for tracking purposes (I will probably use 4 colours of tags as well) but I don't know what to do for the icemen, thoughts?
I will probably just use extra penguins for counters.
The most work involved was making the bases. I made them using washers to give (especially the penguins) some weight to them. Then glued on some sand, painted it grey, drybrushed with a lighter grey and added a black wash. I made snow by combining baking soda with water effects and found that I really really like the results. The icemen needed a quick sand and a wash then I picked out their eyes and mouth. I'm giving myself a painting point each for the icemen and 1 point per 4 penguin bases for a total of 10 painting points for this team.

6 comments:

Peter Ball said...

Rather fun, that! Nice work! Copplestone Castings have a pack of eight penguins for £6.50 (K32 Frisky Penguins in the High Adventure range), if you should need any more. He used to do evil penguins with sinister eyebrows. Got a few of those somewhere or other. :D

Axtklinge said...

Absolutely brilliant mate!
The concept of those (super cool clear resin)snowmen catapulting away the little (funny looking) penguins is plain awesome!
Two thumbs up!!

Even the NABBO dugout seemed to have been made on purpose for them!
LOL

Are you planning on using them on any tournament, local league, or just for a couple of one-off games?

Rando said...

Really creative, beautiful even. I'd love to see a match between your slann and your ogre team! This kinda stuff is exactly what helps to make BB great.

Tristan M said...

Thanks Peter, got what I need now and they are a bit on the expensive side.

Cheers Axt, now you know why I wanted that dugout :)

Hey Ryan! Thanks - not sure I will ever make daggerbowl again but if so they would definitely be showing up!

Paul O'G said...

Fantastic - I love them!

MIK said...

Oh my, this is freakin' awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...