Close to the light at the end of the tunnel now. The pieces were painted & washed, suitably cluttered and had some rubble & blood effects. The second last step (I'm not counting sealing, that was going to be required anyways for terrain this nice!) involved applying some weathering powders to give some rust effects. I ended up cheaping out a bit on this step as apparently it's better practice to use a few different shades of the powders to really get the best effect, but I only started reading about using them after picking up a single pot and I was impatient so one colour would have to be enough. Here's the final large walkway piece.
Applying the weathering powders was fun and easy. I highly recommend using some rubbing alcohol as your "binding" agent (binding in quotes as you could still brush it off, but it held it well enough that it didn't all spray away under a coat of varnish) - I tried a few different methods I found online and determined that combining two of them really did well for me. In future I will test with using one colour per method to see which works best. Method one is apply some powder dry and then use the end of a brush (not the brush end) to drop some rubbing alcohol above the powder and let it run down. Method two is once you have that wet streak - get some powder and kinda flick it off your brush onto the wet part. Always do this over some paper so you can kinda save the powder. You won't save it all and I just threw it into a "shit mix" of flock that I throw any kind of random flock bits into. I suspect it will work best with a darker colour using method one and a lighter colour for method two but I could be wrong.