Thursday, February 25, 2010

Space Sharks: Captain Kundera

It didn't take very many games for me to realize I was unhappy with the armament I had given my Space Sharks captain (click link for original). A combi-plasma is ok but a chainsword was a weak selection - keeping his bolt pistol would've been better. Yes, I could've just called it a power weapon (he even had a bionic arm which could've been the reason behind it), but found I wasn't using him very much, preferring my Novamarines captain when I didn't use a chaplain or librarian.
A sweet bonus for switching to a simple bolt pistol + power/relic weapon is being able to count as Captain Kundera from the FLoT Genestealer Cult mini-dex (recently updated to v3.0 for 5th edition) A quick note here - I suppose Bell of Lost Souls (where the mini-dexes were originally published) has gotten so big they have done some rejigging - so be absolutely sure to check out the Fly Lords of Terra. The mini-dexes are what attracted me to BoLS in the first place. They are really well put together. I've just copied an image of the rules for you to see - I don't think this won't be a big deal. The bonus of getting him completed is there is an NPC nid in our VOGEN campaign @ 2HD, so he could even see some action as Kundera in that campaign.Finally I made my second attempt at a Sgt Lorenzo style power sword. I couldn't find my white dwarf with the masterclass in it, but Ron over at From the Warp gave it a whirl and documented his efforts. I don't think I even have a photo up of the Crimson Fist sergeant I tried it on first. This one definitely looks more like it's charging up to the tip, though I think it needed one more level in the blending of the electricity crackle, maybe an elf grey before the skull white.
damn, i just noticed now the edging on his back banner isn't painted.

2 comments:

Tnoussis said...

You know I find I never use my Dark angels captain, hes just not as good as a chaplain or librarian. Sure He's got a leader ship boost, but I've never really needed a leadership boost. Most of my angels squads have either a veteran sergeant, or a chaplain, or they are death wing and thus fearless. Plus chaplains are good and Choppy in Combat, and librarians have cool powers.

Tristan M said...

A captain is the best all-rounder though, and has many more options than any other HQ. Being able to take Hellfire rounds is awesome, and don't forget he's the only way to take a command squad. I haven't used my command squad in a while, but a recent game against Josh has almost got me convinced to take 'em for a spin again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...